Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Damien Gugliermina 1972-2008



This Elegy for my friend can not be a very long one.

I love him and he loved me, and I was made so much richer by his caring for me.

When I first met him, in Late 2004, in Asmara, I was struck by a man with integrity, devotion and a creative approach to the vast arena of a very bloody Horn of Africa. I used to tease him for being a UN paper pusher, but Damien was one of a rare breed of folk who believed in the United Nations and who devoted himself the essential core of being a humanitarian. He supported me through difficult times and often defended the controversial decisions that I took in my own career in the interest of the most marginalized of communities.

When I met him in Congo, first in Kinshasa in a noisy, whore filled bar on the Boulevard I laughed and reminisced with him about friends and experiences in Eritrea, but his heart was already in the Kivus.

By chance, I wound up coming to the Kivus (like a whirlpool in a bathtub, we all ultimately seem to end up in Goma), and on my first evening in town, the first person I bumped into was Damien, a bit browner, just as skinny and just as handsome as when I had left him in Kinshasa. He made Goma feel like home for me, he welcomed me; he helped me to understand this particularly grizzly context. Our second conversation concluded with my understanding that the tragically flawed Stabilisation plan for the Kivus was, well tragically flawed. We moved on, to discuss the women that we shared in different conflict zones; and that set the tone: extreme wit, sharp analysis tempered with a cynical bitter sweet lust for life.

And now he is dead, and he leaves us behind with an enormous task.

I want us to build a memorial for Damien in the Kivus.

We owe it to him to live his life, to fulfill his mission for the sake of peace and for the sake of all those who have waited so long for justice. Can we not lay aside our differences, our egos, our NGO flags and work together? Our tears will make us strong, and we must insist on the truth: he gave his life for peace, now we will live our lives (and on his behalf), to bring peace to DRC.

Sometime when I am feeling emptied by this terrible loss, I ask that you will help me to have courage and to follow Damien in the path to peace. I would offer this last tribute to him, Einstein talking about Gandhi (….although there are some parallels between Damien and the Mahatma that would just not mesh, especially the whole sexual abstinence thing!):

“Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this, ever, in flesh and blood walked upon this earth.”

Goodbye my big brother.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And how lucky he was to have had a friend like you.

A lovely eulogy for obviously a lovely man.

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salut Fergus
I fell upon your blog by accident as I glumly googled Gugli's name on a dismal London day...
It really touched me, you hit it on the head! I heard Kumi Naidoo speak the other day: "The best thing you can do for world justice and peace is not to give your life, but to give the rest of your life"... Something like what you were saying about fulfilling Damien's mission etc...
BTW I'm a friend of Nico's (the froggie journalist in Eritrea) and I loved Damien very much. Maybe we will meet one day. Till then, much love and courage. Thanks for warming my spirits over here! xxx
Sandrine
zviezda@yahoo.com

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew Damien since I was a kid, from the village where he grew up, in Limonest. I was at school with him and was shocked by this terrible news!!! Too soon, Damien you were too young and had so many things to do still!!! I had just talked with you several months ago and was looking forward to get back in touch with you.
I will keep this incredible image of Damien who was a good friend of mine. He was a hard worker and very pleasant person. I hope he can hear us from up there, we love him very much.
Alexis Nerguisian

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damien will not be 37 years old on the next 16th april.
He will not have children which ( or which not) look like him.
I do not believe in God but for him I can do an exception .
bye
a girl in paris

7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Sorry for my english... I met Dam in 1994 as students but we really became friens in 1998. He spend 4 mounths at my place and we had heaps of fun together. We used to spend heaps of time talking about the world.

One year later, we lost contact when I told him I was gay, whitch was a problem for him considering the relation we had together.

I never try to call Dam after that, I was frustrated and in the same time ashamed.

I wonder what happened, how he died?

And if you don't mind, I'd like few worlds in french.... Damien, tu me manques, ce n'est pas nouveau, notre amitié était forte et mon changement de situation t'as fait peur sur le coup.

Ton coeur, ta générosité, ton charisme, ton flegme, ton trés grand charme, ta clope ....jamais oh non jamais je ne l'oublierais.

Thanks to the person in charge of this site.

Love to Damien.

Philippe

1:47 PM  
Blogger Gabriello Princip said...

Philippe, tu n'a pas laisse un moyen de te contacter, si tu veux parler plus avec moi par rapport a Damien, n'hesite pas a me contacter dans mon boite email: fergust@hotmail.com

c'est fergus, le ecrivain du site

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Olivier TEIL said...

Pensée pour toi mon ami...

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home